After a few years in the real world you will notice the general theory that 'If anything can go wrong, it will', this is
called 'Murphys Law', its a much elaborated theme. For almost every aspect of life there a number of these 'laws' that will
prove to be true. Here is a small collection of the computing business related ones, have fun.
- Nothing is as easy as it looks.
- Everything takes longer than you think.
- If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.
- Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
- Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
- Every solution breeds new problems.
- It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
- Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
Here are some others that we came up with
If you are feeling realy smart you might even be able to work out what the comments are for.
- A committee is twelve men doing the work of one.
- A crisis is when you cannot say "let's just forget the whole thing."
- Almost everything in life is easier to get into than to get out of.
- Any change looks terrible at first. MacOS X
- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
- Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. Buffy ??
- Assumption is the mother of all foul-ups.
- Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it. Micro$oft
- Bureaucracy: a method for transforming energy into solid waste.
- Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers. OpenGL
- Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation. Intent: Personal Java
- Efficiency is a highly developed form of laziness.
- Enough research will tend to support your theory.
- Everything takes longer than you think. SHEEP, wouter !!
- Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.
- Experience is something you do not get until just after you need it.
- For every idiot proof system devised, a new, improved idiot will arise to overcome it. Public Beta Releases
- Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.
- If it is good, they will stop making it.
- If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
- If you consult enough experts you can confirm any opinion.
- If you put it off long enough, it might go away.
- If you understand it, it is obsolete. Exec
- In case of doubt, make it sound convincing. Beta AmiVerse
- Just when you get really good at something, you don't need to do it anymore. sh & grep !!
- Multitasking allows screwing up several things at once.
- No one is listening until you make a mistake. Tim
- People can be divided into three groups: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.
- Programming errors which would normally require one day to find will take five days when the programmer is in a hurry.
- Teamwork is essential; it allows you to blame someone else. The Mozilla People
- The easier it is to do, the harder it is to change.
- The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.
- The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do it in. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing.
- The number of people watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action. Everyone at Serck !!
- The one who says it can't be done should never interrupt the one doing it.
- The probability of anything happening is in inverse ratio to its desirability. CORBA 3 !!
- The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up!
- There is always one more bug.
- There is no job so simple that it cannot be done wrong. Adam i know it was you !!